Comedian Robin Williams’ critically-acclaimed sold-out comedy tour, Weapons of Self Destruction will be out on DVD soon.
Taped over two nights at Washington, DC’s DAR Constitution Hall, Weapons of Self Destruction premiered on US Televsion’s HBO in December and became the network’s most successful stand-up comedy special of the year.
Over the course of the tour, Williams performed 90 shows in 65 cities in front of 300,000 fans across the country, as well as in London and Canada.
Here’s what some of the critics had to say over the course of the tour:
• “Robin Williams is still a master of comedy” - Bruce Dessau, Evening Standard
• “On points of craftsmanship Williams deserves to be included in the pantheon of still-living standup greats” - Jim Slotek, Toronto Sun
• "Watching Robin Williams onstage is watching a master at work." - Deirdre McGruder, Charlotte Observer
• “Very filthy and very funny.” - Chris Varias, Cincinnati Enquirer
• "Neither time nor tribulations have dimmed the 58-year-old comedian's manic comic energy, displayed with full force in his 90-minute show, Weapons of Self Destruction, featuring his trademark free-associative style." - Frank Scheck, New York Post
With Weapons of Self Destruction Williams covers such topics as global warming, sex and politics, the state of health care in the country (suggesting a “cash for clunkers” program for elderly relatives, among other things), drugs – recreational and otherwise – and more personal topics, including his recent heart surgery. DVD bonus features include clips from Robin's previous concerts - some dating back to 1978 - as well as highlights filmed all along the 2009 tour.
With more than 40 industry honors to his credit including four Oscar® nominations and one win, two Emmy® awards, four Grammys® and six Golden Globes® including the prestigious Cecil B. DeMille Award, Robin Williams has become one of the most successful and beloved figures in entertainment history.